Skip to main content
Question
Asked a question 3 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here, nice to meet you I’m really worried about having to provide financial support for my mom. She only gets a small Social Security check each month and has A LOT of health issues She hasn’t asked me to pitch in yet, but I’m afraid she will If she ends up needing care in a facility, will I have to help pay for that even if I can’t afford to do that? What options do I have?

Welcome! Sign up now for free access.

Cameron Huddleston
Carefull Family Finance Expert

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. That's a tough situation to be in. 

There are a few things that could affect whether you'll need to help support your mom. If she has very limited income and assets, she might qualify for Medicaid. Medicaid can help cover the cost of care at home and in a skilled nursing facility. If she doesn't qualify for Medicaid, it will be trickier if she ends up needing care in a facility. More than half of U.S. states have filial responsibility laws that  require adult children varying levels of financial support for parents. If you live in one of these states, you may be on the hook for paying for your parent's care if your parent can't afford it. 

Your best bet is for you and your mom to meet with an elder law attorney to discuss your financial situation and legal options, including what to do to qualify for Medicaid. You can find an elder law attorney through the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: https://www.naela.org/findlawyer18.