Skip to main content
Question
Asked a question 3 months ago

Hello community, first question here... i'm really worried about my mom’s charitable giving. She gives money to EVERY charity, organization, political group that asks. How can I get this under control so she doesn’t give away all of her money? Hope someone can give me a good advice

Welcome! Sign up now for free access.

Joseph, 

First, kudos for asking for suggestions! I have a few ideas: Using the Carefull app is a step in the right direction. You should see account transactions that alert you to her “charitable giving” choices. If you have a Power of Attorney for your mother, you can contact the various organizations to ask that she be removed from their mail and/or call list. Also, you can use Informed Delivery via US Postal Service to monitor incoming solicitation mail. Lastly, add all phone numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry. I hope this helps & hang in there!

Cameron Huddleston
Carefull Family Finance Expert

Joseph -- I just wanted to add one more suggestion in addition to John's great tips. I would encourage you to sit down and have a conversation with your mom about which organizations and causes she cares about most. Help her narrow it down to just a few. Then help her come up with a budget for giving -- a certain amount she can afford to donate to each of the organizations she wants to support. Then make a list of those organizations with the amount she can donate and hang up it by the phone, on the refrigerator or someplace obvious in her house as a reminder. Tell her to refer to the list every time she gets a call or letter. If a donation request comes from an organization that isn't on the list, tell her to say something like, "I'm sorry, but I've already committed to supporting other organizations. Thank you. Goodbye."

Hope this is helpful.